Saturday, January 26, 2008

Birthday Undercover(s)


Usually, I'm one to celebrate birthdays. In fact, I like to think that I have not only a birthday, but a birthday week. JR has clearly inherited this trait.

OTOH, this year I am facing one of those milestone birthdays that I'm not quite ready to face. So I've told WS not to make a big deal. No party. Don't worry about presents. Etc., etc. I even told my MIL, to whom not celebrating a birthday is a cardinal crime, that I don't really want to celebrate.

Well, this is not something I have been able to impress upon JR.

So this morning, despite the fact that I was up at 6:00 folding clothes, when he woke up he informed his dad that they would be making me breakfast in bed as a "surprise". He came and found me at the computer, placed a gold crown upon my head, instructed me to get back into bed, and "surprised" me with a lovely breakfast of french toast made with panettone (mmm!), tea with milk and sugar, the table settings wrapped in a paper towel carefully threaded into a napkin ring - and now I'm banished upstairs while he works on my card.

I love this kid.

No comments: